From: Mike Gerdts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:22 PM
To: Gael
Cc: Anne Moore; zones-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zones-discuss] can non-zones see less RAM than global?

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Gael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> The OS will still display the whole amount of RAM with these RM
> entries ... You cannot use it, but the installation scripts and other
> tools using the usual OS command will still see the real RAM and
> configure their stuff as is ...
>
> Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
> # prtconf
> System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Memory size: 1536
> Megabytes System Peripherals (Software Nodes):
> prtconf: devinfo facility not available #

When I did testing on Nevada (not S10) vmstat gave results that were in line
with the resource controls.  I did notice that df would report an improperly
large size for /tmp, which is another problem.  Your results suggest that
prtconf or the underlying system calls also need to be updated to reflect
memory resource controls.

I would guess that any of the parameters that Oracle is going to set based
upon RAM size can be hand-tuned after the installation.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/