-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steffen Weiberle
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:48 AM
To: zones-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zones-discuss] can non-zones see less RAM than global?

Mike Gerdts wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Gael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> The OS will still display the whole amount of RAM with these RM
>> entries ... You cannot use it, but the installation scripts and other
>> tools using the usual OS command will still see the real RAM and
>> configure their stuff as is ...
>>
>> Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
>> # prtconf
>> System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Memory size: 1536
>> Megabytes System Peripherals (Software Nodes):
>> prtconf: devinfo facility not available #
>
> When I did testing on Nevada (not S10) vmstat gave results that were
> in line with the resource controls.  I did notice that df would report
> an improperly large size for /tmp, which is another problem.  Your
> results suggest that prtconf or the underlying system calls also need
> to be updated to reflect memory resource controls.
>
> I would guess that any of the parameters that Oracle is going to set
> based upon RAM size can be hand-tuned after the installation.

I would think that you can tune the size of Oracle, probably dominated by
the size of the SGA, even before you install/configure. unless there is
something new Oracle is doing.

Customers have run multiple instances of Oracle in a single Solaris
instance, even without zones.

I am not a DBA, otherwise I would offer tuning parameters.
Steffen