Hello zones-discuss,

I’m evaluating Etude and I’m not sure if it is free or not if I do not want a
support.

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/faq.jsp#q_7_1

"What are the software components of the offering?

 The Migration Assistant software captures the entire environment of the
Solaris 8
 source system and then transfers this environment to a Solaris Container
running on the target Solaris 10 system.
 A one year right to use (RTU) for this software is included. Please note that
the license is not perpetual.
 Solaris 8 Migration Assistant 1.0 is now available for download."

So it says a 1 year RTU is included.

But on a download page - http://www.sun.com/download/products.xml?id=470c4a45
"Note: This download comes with an evaluation license for a period of 90 days
from your first use.
 For full support please contact your Sun sales team for the full RTU
 and service subscription."

So is it 1 year or 90 days?

Then in FAQ there’s:

"This subscription does not impact the Solaris 8 right-to-use.
Customers must have a valid Solaris 8 license and either a Solaris 10
Premium Subscription or a Sun System Gold or Platinum Service Plan.
Customers can test out the Solaris 8 Migration Assistant as it is available via
download;
however, in order to get support for the software, customers must purchase the
Enterprise Migration Implementation Service.
"

Then on
http://blogs.sun.com/dp/entry/solaris_8_migration_assistant_etude#comments
You can find some answers I got from Marc Hamilton
“There are three distinct RTU licenses needed to use Solaris 8 Migration
Assistant:
 1) RTU for Solaris 8, 2) RTU for Solaris 10, 3) RTU for the Solaris 8
Migration Assistant tool itself.
 Solaris 10 RTU is available at no cost. Sun has never offered no cost RTU for
Solaris 8 because
 at the time of its release, most customers acquired their Solaris 8 RTU with
their Sun hardware.
 The RTU for the Solaris 8 Migration Assistant itself is also no cost.
 We are not including a free Solaris 8 RTU with the product because we assume
that customers who have Solaris 8
 hardware they obtained through authorized channels would already have a valid
license and providing a free Solaris 8
 license would only benefit customers who had obtained grey market equipment
from unauthorized resellers
 or other non-licensed sources. The wording around "customers must purchase the
Enterprise Migration
 Implementation Service to install the Solaris 8 Migration Assistant" is
incorrect, I will have it changed.”

So if I do not want a support it is for free – right?

--
Best regards,
 Robert Milkowski                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]