Looks like the environment contained in /etc/default/init is read and set
by startd and init.  Since zlogin'ed processes are not child of startd or init
in the zone, they do not have these environment settings.

Given brands, to fix this, we would need to add a hook that asks the zone:

    Please fetch me the default login environment.

It would be similar to the hook that we currently have for fetching the
passwd entry for a given user.

I'm not sure if zlogin was intended to provide a login environment matching
that of other login facilities.  Please file a bug for evalutation.

-Steve L.