This did the trick, the zone booted and got the vfe1000 interface configured.

However my original issue is still there, as I am now sending vlan- tagged ethernet frames to a switch/router on which I have no control and which is discarding them. I guess the solution for me is to use the crossbow vnic's once they become available for Solaris 10 (when ?) or move to OpenSolaris

Regards,
Alain