Purely guessing - I haven't pulled out the doc or looked at the code,
there would be no such check, and shouldn't be.

The memory cap says how much RAM a zone can have at any one time. When a
zone reaches its cap, its resident set gets trimmed to the cap setting.
If the amount of RAM belonging to a zone is limited to a smaller amount
of RAM because the amount installed on the system is smaller, then the
cap mechanism never gets invoked.  My off-the-cuff take...