Jerry Jelinek wrote:
> During testing of the zone "update on attach" feature
> we have encountered a problem with IDRs on S10.
>
> If you are not familiar with an IDR, it is a temporary,
> one-time patch that is issued to try to solve a problem
> before an official patch is released.  Because these
> are temporary, one-time patches, there is no metadata
> in official patches to tell us if the IDR is obsoleted or
> not.  Because we don't know if the IDR is obsoleted by
> some other patch, "update on attach" will require
> that any IDRs installed on the source system must also be
> installed on the target system.
>
> If you have a zone that you are migrating because of
> a disaster recovery situation where the original system
> is no longer available, and the original system had
> an IDR installed that is not on the target (e.g. s10u4
> with IDR to S10u6 where IDR is not needed), then there is
> no way to migrate the zone and update it to match the
> target if the IDR does not apply to the target system.
>
> If the original system is still available, you can work
> around this by removing the IDR before migrating the zone.
>
> I have a few different ideas for how to handle this.
>
> 1) change the meaning of attach -u -F
>     Right now -F just forces the attach, changes the zone
>     state to installed and we're done.  No update occurs.  We
>     could change the interaction of these two options so that
>     we still do the update but ignore any verification warnings.
>     However this would allow a potentially major downgrade.
>
> 2) attach -u -p xxxxxxx -p yyyyyyy ....
>     Add a new -p option which allows you to specify patches to
>     ignore.  We would use this to specify IDRs which don't
>     exist on the target, although it could also be used for
>     regular patches that might be broken.
>     The user would have to understand this at a pretty good
>     level to know when to use the option.  We might want to extend
>     this idea to specify pkgs as well, in case we have a broken
>     pkg.  This allows a potentially major downgrade if the user
>     specifies a lot of patches.

I am not sure I have an opinion yet, as I am not sure what "major
downgrade" means. If that would allow you detach the zone from the new
system and re-attach on the original, I can see a benefit. (The
inability to attach a zone on its original system is my biggest concern
with the upgrade on attach.)

One thought with 2) is to also consider -P filename, where filename
lists the patches or packages. Similar to -x and -X for flarcreate.

Steffen