On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Jeff Tomer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a number of whole root zones with 'zonepath' set to a file system on
> SAN storage.  I have lost access to the SAN storage, and thus to the zones,
> and need to patch the global zone in order to regain access to the SAN LUNs.
> However, I am unable to apply the patches because my access to the non-global
> zones is impaired -- an interesting corner case that no doubt has impacted
> others.
>
> Here is my workaround:  detach all of the non-global zones, apply the patch,
> and then re-attach (attach -F) all the zones.  This seems to work but I am
> looking for 1) any feedback on whether this is advisable or not, 2) what the
> long term implications are for management of these zones, and 3) any other
> suggestions for another workaround.

If you are running Nevada, you should be able to use update on attach
to get them back.

zoneadm -z $zone attach -u

Since you say you require a patch, I'm guessing you are running S10.
My understanding is that update on attach will come in S10u6.  If you
can hold on a few months, you will be in good shape.  :/

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/