Addendum:

The fs was mounting on the wrong fs within the zone, and mounting a ufs fs
on the intended mount point.

To fix that, i zonecfged and removed the fs, and re-added it as a zfs
dataset.

Once done i changed the zfs mountpoint from within the zone

So:
zonecfg:anzan> remove fs dir=/backup
zonecfg:anzan> add dataset
zonecfg:anzan:dataset> set name=external/backup
zonecfg:anzan:dataset> end
zonecfg:anzan> exit
# zoneadm -z anzan boot
# zlogin anzan
[Connected to zone 'anzan' pts/2]
Last login: Wed Jun 25 07:22:48 on pts/2
Welcome to anzan, a zen name meaning Quiet Mountain, Peaceful Mountain
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/#zfs set mountpoint=/backup external/backup

back to working condition

justin