On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 09:22:07PM +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:
> Steve Lawrence wrote:
> >My guess is that your zones lack /var/ruby.*
> Thanks for the reply,
> My zones in fact do have /var/ruby* and I can list and view the files
> which it tells me don't exist.

Sometimes truss -f <command> <args> ... gives a good indication of exactly
what file is not being found, assumming this is a missing file problem.

> >Did you install ruby+friends in the global zone using packages, from
> >a tar file, or from source compilation?  A package install from the global
> >zone should install the package contents into all zones, properly handling
> >/usr verses /var.
> My ruby is installed from the OpenSolaris installer when the system was
> built, the only thing I have manually installed was a handful of gems
> which I did with the "gem" command.

Which release of opensolaris are you using?  Are you sure /usr and /lib
are read-only, as that is not the usual setup in the recent releases of

Perhaps the gem command updates files in /var, which are per zone.  You may
need to add the gems using the gem command in every zone.

> >If your means of installation insists on writing to /usr/ruby, they you
> >could create a writeable /usr/ruby filesystem (using zonecfg add fs) so
> >that you can install ruby into every zone.  Adding a lofs filesystem, that
> >maps to a directory in the global zone, is straightfoward.
> I could do that, I just thought it was odd that although the files are
> there, ruby (or gem) doesn't think they are. This indicates to me that
> whatever metadata ruby uses to manage the gem collection isn't being
> copied to the zones.

Same comment as above.

> So basically I'm either going to wait for someone to help track down the
>  ruby-zones-gems problem, or I can install ruby, rubygems and my gems
> from source for each zone?

It would be best to root cause your issue, rather than just attempt to work
around it via another installation mechanism.  Please reply if adding the
gems to each zone does not resolve the issue.

-Steve L.