I snooped from the global zone and could see a request and response. I can ping. I can ssh into the zone.
Just a sec ... I found the problem.  It is not a zones issue...

In my domain.xml for the webserver, I had "security-enabled" set to "true".
It works with "false"....
<jmx-connector accept-all="true" address="" auth-realm-name="admin-realm" enabled="true" name="system" port="8686" protocol="rmi_jrmp" security-enabled="false">

Steve Lawrence wrote:
By default, a zone does not have privilege to snoop:

Could just be a network config/routing issue.  Can you ping
Can you access other network services, like ssh?

-Steve L.