On 08/26/08 15:18, Michael Harsch wrote:
> Team,
>
> I'm new to zones-discuss, so apologies if this has already been posted.
>
> I would like to configure hundreds (maybe thousands) of zones on a
> single machine.  I've had good luck up until ~250 running zones, at
> which point I run out room to alias more loopback network interfaces.
> Here's the error messsage from the global zone:
>
>       Aug 26 17:05:03 iwa1-ar zoneadmd[15796]: [zone 'zone0506'] WARNING:
> skipping network interface 'lo0' which may not be present/plumbed in
> the global zone.: No buffer space available
>
> And from the zone trying to boot:
>
>       Aug 27 01:13:02 zone0506 smcboot[26563]: bind: Cannot assign
> requested address
>
> On the global zone, the loopback interface (lo0) has 255 aliases and
> (I assume) can't add anymore.  I got around this problem with the
> regular interfaces by adding more physical interfaces to the machine
> and configured the zones in blocks of 250 each assigned to different
> physical interfaces.  I seem to be blocked at the loopback device
> though.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way around this?  Could I somehow add
> additional loopback addresses and tell the zones at configuration time
> to latch on to something other than lo0 for the loopback alias?

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_addrs_per_if <number of IFs>

You will need to do that on every boot, and thus put it in a script you
run either at boot or before starting lots of zones if they don't boot
automatically.

Reminds me of my old desire to create an SMF service with local
'tunables'. I imagine someone has already done that.

Steffen