On 08/26/08 15:18, Michael Harsch wrote:
> Team,
> I'm new to zones-discuss, so apologies if this has already been posted.
> I would like to configure hundreds (maybe thousands) of zones on a
> single machine.  I've had good luck up until ~250 running zones, at
> which point I run out room to alias more loopback network interfaces.
> Here's the error messsage from the global zone:
>       Aug 26 17:05:03 iwa1-ar zoneadmd[15796]: [zone 'zone0506'] WARNING:
> skipping network interface 'lo0' which may not be present/plumbed in
> the global zone.: No buffer space available
> And from the zone trying to boot:
>       Aug 27 01:13:02 zone0506 smcboot[26563]: bind: Cannot assign
> requested address
> On the global zone, the loopback interface (lo0) has 255 aliases and
> (I assume) can't add anymore.  I got around this problem with the
> regular interfaces by adding more physical interfaces to the machine
> and configured the zones in blocks of 250 each assigned to different
> physical interfaces.  I seem to be blocked at the loopback device
> though.
> Does anyone know if there is a way around this?  Could I somehow add
> additional loopback addresses and tell the zones at configuration time
> to latch on to something other than lo0 for the loopback alias?

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_addrs_per_if <number of IFs>

You will need to do that on every boot, and thus put it in a script you
run either at boot or before starting lots of zones if they don't boot

Reminds me of my old desire to create an SMF service with local
'tunables'. I imagine someone has already done that.