Devin Ceartas wrote:
> So at this point it's domain resolution I'm not getting inside the
> zone -- I can assign an IP to this static IP zone, and I can ssh to
> it  from another machine. But I can't ping out from that zone past the
> subnet.
>
> I've copied my global zone /etc/resolv.conf into the zone, and put the
> router IP (192.168.0.1) into /etc/defaultrouter
>
> Here's some relevant test output:
>
> # ping 192.168.0.105
> 192.168.0.105 is alive
>
> # ping google.com
> ping: unknown host google.com
>
> I'm new to solaris so I'm sure there's simple things i'm missing as i
> go through these steps. thanks for your help.

Hey Devin,

 As you know, /etc/resolv.conf contains the DNS servers... you've got
that part.  The next part is to modify /etc/nsswitch.conf.  This file
specifies where to look, and in what order, for different information
maps, such as passwd, host, etc.  In the case of "host:"  you can have
entries like file, dns, ldap, nis, nis+ and now even mdns (multicast
DNS).  My bet is that you need to include "dns" on that line.  There are
actually pre-config'ed examples, so you can do this inside the zone: "cp
/etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf".  Then try again.

 In Shared IP zones (the default) networking is not configured inside
the zone, so /etc/defaultrouter won't do anything inside the zone.
However, name services (DNS, NIS, LDAP, etc) are.

 Fix /etc/nsswitch.conf in the zone and let us know if that clears up
the problem.

 benr.