anyone know when the brandz for s10 will be out?
e.g. running s10 with opensolaris zone?

Jerry Jelinek wrote:
Mike Gerdts wrote:
On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Jerry Jelinek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Henrik Johansson wrote:
The easiest way would probably be to identify packages that are not to
be updated, in my experience packages do not differ that much between
local zones in production environments, but that is only based on the
system I have worked with. I always keep zones as similar as possible,
but full zones still leaves the possibility to make some changes to
the packages and patches in case its necessary.
Unfortunately we have no way to know which pkgs you deliberately
want to be different between the global and non-global zone and
which you want to be in sync.  Thats why a list where the user
could control that would be needed.
Isn't that the purpose of "pkgadd -G"?

     -G              Add package(s) in  the  current  zone  only.
                     When used in the global zone, the package is
                     added to the global zone  only  and  is  not
                     propagated  to  any  existing  or yet-to-be-
                     created non-global  zone.  When  used  in  a
                     non-global zone, the package(s) are added to
                     the non-global zone only.

                     This option causes package  installation  to
                     fail  if, in the pkginfo file for a package,
                     SUNW_PKG_ALLZONES  is  set  to   true.   See

A package added to the global zone with "pkgadd -G" should not be
upgraded in the non-global zone.

The problem is when you look at a zone, how do you know what
to sync with the global zone?  For example, if you have a
whole-root zone, that means you've explicitly decided you want
the ability to manage pkgs in /usr, etc. independently of the
global zone.   With a true upgrade, those pkgs that are part of
the release are upgraded anyway.  What do we do with a zone
migration?   What pkg metadata do we have inside the zone to tell
us which pkgs to sync and which not to?

zones-discuss mailing list
fn:Dr. Hung-Sheng Tsao (LaoTsao)
org:GEH;Sun GEH East
adr:;;400 Atrium Dr;Somerset;nj;08873;usa
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Sr. SE