On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Glenn Brunette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> This actually hits on a similar request that I have (but for different
> reasons).  I would like a stable interface from which I could tell
> the update revision of a system.

This seems to be another case for feature-based meta packages.

http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/2008/03/solaris-wish-list-feature-based-meta.html

I describe it for the simplicity of installing software, but with a
bit of thought it could be possible to extend it to this use as well.

> In a past life working on JASS, we were told to not test for patch or
> update levels but rather to test whether a specific feature is present,
> and while I understand the merits of this methodology, it does not
> always provide a complete solution (without making significant
> assumptions about how the system was installed/maintained).  For

As a very heavy user of JASS, this methodology is appreciated.  It has
made the software continue to be quite useful long after Sun stopped
providing updates.  (Any news on open sourcing it?)

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/