On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Mike Gerdts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Jeff Victor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>> I believe that you cannot patch your way from U1 to U5 - i.e. that the
>> system is missing some functionality that would be there if you had
>> applied the updates - but your point is still valid. I will look into
>> the correctness of using patch levels to detect feature availability.
> Huh?  There are very few features delivered in Solaris updates that
> aren't delivered via patches.  So few that I can only think of one
> time where it has made a difference (postgres version different
> between updates).  When really important features are released as new
> packages "genesis patches" are delivered to deliver the feature.  This
> is how the U1 + patches system below has zfs on it even though zfs
> didn't come out until U2.

Hoping to summarize this sub-thread:

A patch can only modify an existing package. An update can have new
packages as well as patches to existing packages. In general, you
can't patch your way to, or past, an update which has new packages.
There have been times when an empty package was placed into an update
in an attempt to make it possible to add functionality later simply by
adding a patch.

"Proof by blog" is hardly sufficient, but
http://blogs.sun.com/patch/entry/solaris_10_5_08_update provides an

"The Solaris 10 05/08 Patch Bundle contains the equivalent set of
patches to the Solaris 10 05/08 (Update 5) release. The patch bundle
does not include the new packages contained in the Solaris 10 05/08
(Update 5) release.  Therefore, new features in Update 5 which depend
upon new packages introduced in that release will not be available in
the patch bundle."

Moving forward:

That raises several questions: are new pkgs added often? (>400 were
added after S10 3/05 so far.) Do those packages add new features? (I
think that's a safe assumption, but I don't know of a mapping from
feature to pkg.) Are any of those features used by zonestat.pl? (I
don't know of any, so it's likely that you can patch your way from S10
FCS to "all of zonestat works" even though the system wouldn't have
all of the features in U5.)

In any case, it became clear early in this thread that checking
/etc/release was inadequate, and so the ToDo for v1.3 includes fixing
this. Sample code - from this community - to check for each of the
necessary features added during the life of S10 would be greatly
appreciated... Rules and ideas for contributing code can be found at
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/communities/participation/ .