On 12/01/08 14:09, bob netherton wrote:
>  > No Solaris 10u6 does support zones on zfs, but not as cleanly as nevada,
>  > there are some differences, as new features are integrated into nevada,
>  > then later they "might" get backported to soalris updates.
>
> Reminds me of the car commercial - the suggested price is blah,
> nicely appointed for blah + $$$$$$.   As Enda says, zfs and zones
> are available, but will be nicely appointed in a future release.
>
> the automatic creation of the datasets does not work.  use of zfs
> snapshot and clones when cloning a zone do not work.    for LU the
> zoneroots must
> be datasets (file systems).

So just to clarify, the next Lu patch to release ( 121430-30/121431-31,
saprc/x86 ) that releases will relax that restriction in terms of
upgrade of zones on zfs, basically allowing zones on zfs to live
anywhere, ie top level dataset, lower level dataset, or a directory ina
dataset
ie
zfs create zones/zonehome
zonecfg : set path=/zones/zonehome/myzone-01

Now the only caveat is that you must also apply this patch to the ABE,
prior to booting it, ie
apply LU patch 121430-30 to live system
run lucreate
run luupgrade ( if upgrading from pre u6 )
apply 121430-30 to the new BE using luupgrade -t ( or patchadd -R )
The last step MUST be done prior to luactivate, so even if you are
creating a BE for patching ie skipping the luupgrade step, you still
need to apply the patch after lucreate and before luactivate.
Not doign so can result in not being able to boot back to original BE
once new BE is activated.

Enda

>  >  On s10u6 you
>  > have to create the zonepath yourself, either mkdir or zfs create,
>  > setting appropriate permissions too,
>
> If the zoneroot is no present, a mkdir will be done for you.   and
> the permissions will be set correctly.   this has been that way since
> u1 or u2 (u1 IIRC).  A zfs dataset will not be automatically created
> like it does in nevada.  and if you do create the zoneroot, make sure
> and set the permissions to 700 like Enda says - this is only done
> automatically when we mkdir on your behalf.  if you do it then you must
> do it right.
>

> zone1 is on ufs.   zone2 will be a similar zone on zfs.
> /dune/zones/s10u6 is already a dataset (file system).   this will
> (should) be live upgradable.
>
> # zonecfg -z zone2 create -t zone1
> # zonecfg -z zone2 set zonepath=/dune/zones/s10u6/zone2
> # zfs create dune/zones/s10u6/zone2
> # chmod 700 /dune/zones/s10u6/zone2
> # zoneadm -z zone2 install
> Preparing to install zone <zone2>.
> Creating list of files to copy from the global zone.
>
> ........ time passes, stuff happens.
>

> bob

Enda O'Connor x19781  Software Product Engineering
Patch System Test : Ireland : x19781/353-1-8199718