On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Jerry Jelinek <gerald.jeli...@sun.com> wrote:
> Mike Gerdts wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Jerry Jelinek <gerald.jeli...@sun.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> I'll think about that.  What if -d {zonepath} just skipped the
>>> copy of the bits?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jerry
>>>

>> That sounds reasonable.  This seems to imply that the argument to -d
>> will be a directory that has a subdirectory named root which is the
>> actual root of the thing to be turned into a zone.
>
> Mike,
>
> I was thinking about this more last night and I think '-d -' would be
> even simpler.  It would just mean, "use the directory tree already in
> place in the zonepath".
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

Excellent point - I like that.  With this in place I think that we
will be at a point where the same flash archive that is used for
installing global zones will be nicely usable for installing full root
zones.  The big bonus here is that a path toward more consistent
installation mechanisms between non-virtualized servers, zones, and
ldoms starts to be more realistic.

I am most excited about the ability to (zfs) clone the global zone to
create a master non-global zone from which future non-global zones are
cloned.  On typical sun4v hardware this looks like it will cut the
time to image + create master non-global zone in half.  Assuming this
plays forward in the IPS world, it means that non-global zones should
be easily created without access to the repository.  This will likely
make those that are bandwidth constrained (or pay per bit) very happy.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/