Geoff and Jerry,

On Feb 4, 2009, at 2:17 AM, Geoff Shipman wrote:

I received update they did not use a force option to the attach just the
-u.  They noted that no log file was created in the
/var/sadm/system/logs directory of the NGZ.

This attach was stymied originally by a Veritas package VRTSat that had
patch 117499-02 with garbage characters in the obsoletes field of the
pkginfo file.  Once they followed Symantecs instructions on removal of
the patch and access a clean version from the Symantec ftp site the
attach went OK, allowing the zoneadm attach to recreate the SUNWdetach

The NGZ still shows garbage in the pkginfo information for VRTSat from
the showrev -p data and the kernel patch 138888-01 is not listed in the
showrev output.

We have had some issues with the damaged VRTSat package, the "fixed" version of the same version of the patch together with the instructions did not solve the whole problem for us when using it with zones.

If I remember correctly this fix did in fact damage the package database, or at least make it inconsistent with the files present on the system. The solution was to remove the whole VRTSat package, reapply the package and then apply the working version on the patch version directly without applying the damaged version first. The pkgadd procedure would complain regarding already present or missing files but after this we ended up with a consistent package database again.

It's late here in Sweden but i can give you the exact information on what I experienced and how it was solved tomorrow morning if it's of any interest.

Henrik Johansson