Other possibilities to find out if its sparse or whole root from within the local zone:

- touch /usr  (should not work in sparse zone)
- df -n /usr (reports lofs)

Konstantin Gremliza

Jeff Victor schrieb:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Arun Gupta <arun.gu...@sun.com> wrote:

Thanks Jeff,

How do I know whether it's a sparse-root or whole-root zone ?

>From the global zone, use "zonecfg -z <zonename> info" and look for
entries about inherit-pkg-dir. If there are four (/usr, /lib, and two
others) then it's a sparse-root zone, and /usr should look the same in
the zone as in the GZ.  If they are not present, it's a whole-root
zone, and the zone has its own /usr which may include software not
available in the GZ or in other zones.

I took the default options when creating zones.

If that's true, it's a sparse-root zone, and anything in the GZ's /usr
would be visible in the zone's /usr. If a sparse-root zone can't see
things in /usr that the GZ can, either another loopback mount is
needed, or something is broken. It's hard to know without more
information, such as:

Output of "zonecfg ... info"
Output of "mount" in both the GZ and the zone.

-Arun

Jeff Victor wrote:

Is it a sparse-root zone or a whole-root zone? It should be visible in
a sparse-root, but a whole-root zone has its own separate copy of
/usr.

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Arun Gupta <arun.gu...@sun.com> wrote:

I installed GlassFish in global zone in /usr directory. However this
directory does not seem to be visible in non global zone. Do I need to do
something special to make it visible ?

Bunch of other directories in /usr are visible.

What am I missing ?