Just had a look at the FAQ and found this:

Q: Can a zone be an NTP server?
A: Because the NTP server software also sets the time clock, which a
non-global zone cannot be allowed to do, a zone cannot be an NTP server.
(June 2005)

What about client? If I don't enable ntp in a non-global zone, is it
sufficient to enable it in the global zone? If I do set up a client, I get
this:

Can't adjust time: Not owner

But ntpq -p works fine and shows it is talking.

My suggestions are that 1. xntpd should detect that it's in a zone, and
either quit squawking or stop trying to set the time, or 2. that it should
 just exit as quietly as possible--as long as the time gets set somehow.

The current 'solution' of letting it sort of run and spew out loads of
warnings strikes me as half-baked. Isn't this a bug?

What is best practice here?

Regards,

Charles Meo
Infrastructure Team Leader
LTX Pty Ltd
Phone: 03 8699 7900
Mobile: 0409 258 471
Email: charles....@ltx.com.au
Website: www.ltx.com.au

Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and may be intercepted,
modified, or otherwise interfered with during delivery. If you have any
doubts as to the authenticity of the sender or the contents of this email,
please contact us immediately by telephone to confirm. This electronic
transmission is intended only for those to whom it is addressed. It may
contain information that is confidential, privileged or exempt from
disclosure by law. Any claim to privilege is not waived or lost by reason
of mistaken transmission of this information. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not distribute or copy this transmission and should
immediately notify the sender. Your costs for doing this will be
reimbursed by the sender. This email is also subject to copyright. No part
of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written
consent of the copyright owner. Any personal information in this email
must be handled in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).