Charles Meo skrev:
Just had a look at the FAQ and found this:

Q: Can a zone be an NTP server?
A: Because the NTP server software also sets the time clock, which a non-global zone cannot be allowed to do, a zone cannot be an NTP server. (June 2005) What about client? If I don't enable ntp in a non-global zone, is it sufficient to enable it in the global zone? If I do set up a client, I get this:

Can't adjust time: Not owner

But ntpq -p works fine and shows it is talking.

All zones gets the time from the single kernel running on the system, so running ntp on the global zone is sufficient to control time in the NG zones as well.

My suggestions are that 1. xntpd should detect that it's in a zone, and either quit squawking or stop trying to set the time, or 2. that it should just exit as quietly as possible--as long as the time gets set somehow.

The current 'solution' of letting it sort of run and spew out loads of warnings strikes me as half-baked. Isn't this a bug?

There need be no zones awareness in {x}ntpd as there is no reason to run it in a NG zone. If it can't adjust the systems time, it is useless anyway.

What is best practice here?

Do not run {x}ntpd in the zones.

Charles Meo
Infrastructure Team Leader
LTX Pty Ltd Phone: 03 8699 7900 Mobile: 0409 258 471 Email: