Swap limits how much of the systems total memory (ram + disk) can be reserved.
When this limit is hit, allocations, such as malloc, will fail.  Physical
memory limits resident memory.  When this limit is hit, the zone will page
pages in memory to disk swap.

In general, your example config is only useful if the zone uses a lot of
physical memory, but does not reserve as much swap.  An example is an
application which maps a large on-disk file into memory.  No swap is needed
for the file, (because the file can be paged back to the a filesystem), but a
large amount of physical memory may be needed to pull the file into RAM.

Such applications are rare, so your example config is not often used.  Your
basically right is saying that this config does not make any sense in most
cases.

-Steve L.