Try posting at i18n-disc...@opensolaris.org  -- for localization topics...

Charles Meo wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a non-global whole-root zone to run an application from Canada that requires en_CA localisation in order to work properly. However, I'm having unending trouble trying to verify whether this has been set up correctly, and the localeadm tool seems to be very broken. I applied patch 119703-12 which fixed the most annoying problem--expr errors--but it has no concept of zones and some of the things it tries to do are permitted only in the global zone. So it failed, and I had to back out about 60 nam-related packages by hand, because localeadm -r fails if it didn' succeed to begin with.

Who writes this stuff?

In any case, I'm trying to run a minimised zone based on SUNWCreq and only the needed packages layered on top of that, and localeadm's approach of installing everything and its dependencies and the kitchen sink is inimical. I really cannot see, for example, why I need chinese character support for North America support. So, no joy in that respect.

locale -a reports this:

POSIX
en_CA
en_CA.ISO8859-1
en_CA.UTF-8
en_US
en_US.ISO8859-1
en_US.ISO8859-15
en_us.iso8859...@euro
en_US.UTF-8
es
es_MX
es_MX.ISO8859-1
es_MX.UTF-8
fr
fr_CA
fr_CA.ISO8859-1
fr_CA.UTF-8
iso_8859_1

However our application still won't work and the indications are that something in the locale configuration is broken. The same application runs fine in a solaris 9 branded zone, which produced this output:

POSIX
iso_8859_15
iso_8859_1
hi_IN.UTF-8
common
es
es.UTF-8
en_US.UTF-8
fr
fr.UTF-8
en_CA
en_CA.ISO8859-1
en_US
en_US.ISO8859-1
en_US.ISO8859-15
en_us.iso8859...@euro
es_MX
es_MX.ISO8859-1
fr_CA
fr_CA.ISO8859-1
th
th_TH
th_TH.TIS620
th_TH.ISO8859-11
th_TH.UTF-8

All the relevant entries for Canada seem to be present in both, plus Thailand which is irrelevant in this case.

So, does anyone know how I can sort this out from here? I am getting exactly nowhere and I don't know how to proceed. I'd like to be able to put exactly the locale support into our solaris 10 zone as is in solaris 9, but figuring out which packages I need is a nightmare, the documentation is sketchy, and, as noted above, the tools are a bit of a mess.

Charles Meo
LTX Pty Ltd.