I found a tool on Freshmeat or SourceForge called "stress".  It is a
small stress test tool that can allocate memory in strides from multiple
worker processes.

Commonly I use the perl trick below which I learned from Brendan Gregg.
Its kind of hackish, but it works.

SunVTS is too big and refuses to work in non-global zones.

What I've wanted but not had the time to write myself, is a general
purpose memory tool to be able to allocated various types of memory
(malloc, mmap, shm, etc) and generally pretend to be a real application,
allocating and de-allocating and leaking memory.  So far I have not
found such a tool, but it would be helpful in fully understanding and
testing Solaris RCTL.

benr.