Hi.

On a Solaris 10 138888-06  v240 server of ours, I have, of
course *G*, the global zone and one non-global zone configured
like that:

--($ ~)-- zonecfg -z rpe-cs info
zonename: rpe-cs
zonepath: /zones/rpe-cs
brand: native
autoboot: true
bootargs:
pool: pool_default
limitpriv:
scheduling-class: FSS
ip-type: shared
[cpu-shares: 5]
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /lib
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /platform
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /sbin
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /usr
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /opt/staroffice8
net:
        address: 10.0.1.20/21
        physical: ce0
        defrouter: 10.0.0.254
device
        match: /dev/winlock
dataset:
        name: data/zones/rpe-cs
rctl:
        name: zone.cpu-shares
        value: (priv=privileged,limit=5,action=none)

Wiith this in mind, or even just generally speaking,
do applications run slower in a NGZ compared to
the global zone (be it noticeable or even just measurable)?

Or, put differently and more simple: Is there a performance
"penalty"because of the use of non-global zones?

I /suppose/, that there's no performance impact (or,
at best, just a very slim one), because NGZs just
"capsulate" process id ranges (so to speak). I see this
in comparison to, let's say, VMware, where another
system is emulated (with memory, network card, etc.pp.).

Cheers,

Alexander
--
[ Soc. => http://twitter.com/alexs77 | http://www.plurk.com/alexs77 ]
[ Mehr => http://zyb.com/alexws77 ]

Sent from: Schaffhausen Schaffhausen Schweiz.