There were a bunch of nfs mounts listed in the /etc/mntab of the global
zone. I was able to umount them but zone is still hung up.

 I tried killing the zoneadmd process and ran zoneadm halt again and it
started the zoneadmd back up but it didn't do anything.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, looks like I'm going to have to
wait until I can take the box down for a reboot.

Regards,
Derek