On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 09:39:12AM +0200, Nicolas Dorfsman wrote:

> Le 5 juin 09 à 04:45, Edward Pilatowicz a écrit :
>
>>> The difference between Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris is that, on
>>> Solaris 10 by using the "create" would automatically inherit all the
>>> 4 directories mentioned above, and by using "create -b" would create
>>> a "whole-root" zone. On OpenSolaris, however, by using "create"
>>> (without the -b option) would be creating whole-root zones as it does
>>> not inherit any directories from the global zones. It would be nice
>>> also if you could explain what is the rationale behind this
>>> difference. Thanks!
>>
>> the reason for the difference is that SRV4 packaging is very different
>> from ipkg.  Solaris 10 is based of SRV4 packaging and opensolaris is
>> based off of ipkg.  ipkg will enable us to do lots of things we
>> couldn't
>> with SRV4 packaging.  one of the things we will be able to do is have
>> different contents installed in the global zone and non-global zones.
>> hence inherit-pkg-dir doesn't make a whole lot of sense in this
>> context.
>

> ipkg seems to be a great advanced techno.
> Anyway, it's incredible to remove the inherit-pkg facility.

no one removed inherit-pkg-dir.  inherit-pkg-dir is closely tied to svr4
packaging, and it still works for systems that use svr4 packaging.

but opensoalris uses ipkg, and ipkg replaces svr4.  so if we want
inherit-pkg-dir support we'd need to re-implement it for ipkg.  that is
work that hasn't been done yet.

> inherit-pkg-dir has a lot of sense in many users context !

yes, we (the zones development team, of which i am a member) are well
aware of that.

> I really can't understand how somebody could have validated this : "hey
> ipkg great thing, sparse-zone bad thing...let's remove this".

that never happened.

> Where is the team who create the zone concept here ?

you're talking to them on this forum.

> Where is the thread I missed where this great feature suppression was
> discussed ?  Is there only developpers on board ?

calm down.
take a deep breath.
there is no "feature suppression" going on.

ipkg is changing a lot of things.  ipkg zones currently don't support
all the functionality that svr4 zones do.  there's still a lot of work
here to be done.

wrt inherit-pkg-dir, we (the zones team) are aware that it provides
certain indirect features that users like.  for example:
- keeping zone software contents in sync with the global zone
- read only filesystem (an artifact of using lofi)
- etc.

as we work on improving the ipkg brand we will be looking at these types
of features (previously provided by the inherit-pkg-dir option) and
evaluating how they should best be implemented in the ipkg brand.
(either via the inherit-pkg-dir option as everyone currently knows it,
or perhaps via multiple new options that can be used to replace the old
inherit-pkg-dir.)

if you'd like to participate in this development process then you've
come to the right place.

thanks
ed