I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the non-global zones will update
themselves as long as you "detach" them before you do the pkg image-update.
Here is a link that shows how to do it using OpenSolaris 2008.11:

That was a big bug fix when it first came out, but still in my ignorance, I
hosed a bunch of my zones on one of my Indiana 2008.11 when I didn't detach the
zones before doing a pkg image-update (hopefully you can read the article and
not have to suffer as I did).

To show the difference between older OpenSolaris and newer OpenSolaris, here is
a blog from one of the guys on the zones team about the state of zones over a
year ago back in OpenSolaris 2008.05 (they were in bad shape back then):

Another important caveat / missing piece that I noticed is missing from all of
the OpenSolaris Indiana Sun blogs and documentation I've so far, to do caps on
CPU and RAM memory in OpenSolaris the way he's doing it, I think you need to
install the SUNWrcap package first like this:

# pkg install SUNWrcap

I couldn't get resource capped zones to install in a brand new Indiana install
and it took me a week to figure that one out.