I had the same problem trying to install Sun Studio last week.

I agree that this is a fundamental flaw.  Whats kinda funny though is
that its not really IPS's fault, nor is it Zone's fault... just an
unusual intersection of two assumptions.  The only solution currently is
a local IPS mirror, but thats not feasible on a small scale.

Of course, lets not forget that Zone's already has a rocky relationship
with IPS given the non-sparse issue.... but this may push up the time table.

Any guidance as to what the Zones team is doing to resolve the
non-sparse IPS problem?