In the days of packages and Solaris 10 (i.e., what is used now
and will be for quite a while)...

A) Much less time to install and instantiate whole root zones
    if you get rid of a lot of dross. This includes service instantiation.
    Less disk space used for the zone. Disk space savings of more than 50%
    and often 75% can be achieved.

I have run into this at one major retail corporation and several financial
    institutions. Disk space concerns were common to all of them and
    there were also concerns at some of them about the time it would take
    for dynamic container provisioning in response to load conditions.

B) Concerns about security holes. If you don't have something on the system,
    you don't have to patch it or update it on the off chance someone could
exploit it. If something is not on the system, you don't have to worry about
    as yet undiscovered security holes.

    This is a serious concern for many customers.

C) Less time to install and less time to patch.

JIm
----