Anon Y Mous wrote:
But this is fairly far from the Zones-discuss topic.

I respectfully disagree, I think this is part of the Zones-discuss topic.
The whole reason people want a minimal OpenSolaris install is to have a global zone with
nothing running in it (except for maybe an SSH server and an internal crossbow
"virtual network" based IPS package repository for the non-global zones) and
then have Apache, Postfix / dovecot, BIND, glassfish, database software, etc. etc. all
delegated out to the non-global zones. It seems that this would be a more secure
arrangement and it would also be better for resource management since OpenSolaris's
SUNWrcap resource management capabilities for zones are superb.

So in a way, this is kind of a "zones-discuss" issue ;-)
It is also partly an installation and package management issue, but the most important
thing is that everything involving package management and a minimalized global zone
"server install" integrates smoothly at the zone level. Zones / Containers are
one of the main reasons Sun customers use Solaris, but IBM's AIX and Windows Server 2008
are slowly catching up. IBM is trying very hard to make their AIX WPAR's better than
Solaris 10 zones (see link below):

   http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-solaris/index.html

and Microsoft is also pushing Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 as a replacement
for Solaris Zones (Hyper V can now even run SPARC Solaris workloads- see link
below):

  http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=482

and there's also things like OpenVZ and Virtuozzo VPS on Linux, which are
similar to Solaris zones and have captured a massive mind share and are slowly
taking over the data center that I work in (even though they are, for the most
part, pretty awful products compared to Solaris zones).

So if Solaris is to win the race and stem the stem the migration of UNIX
installations away from Sun and towards IBM and Red Hat, it's critical that we
always remain a few steps ahead of the pack so that pro-Sun sysadmins such as
myself will be able to tell our bosses- why should we ever migrate to Red Hat
or IBM or Microsoft Server 2008 when it's obvious that OpenSolaris is a million
times better in every way! In fact, if things in OpenSolaris continue to get
better, I might be able to make a compelling case for why some of my existing
customers who use Red Hat should migrate away from Linux and towards Sun, but
we still have a ways to go. So how do we get there?

First, in regards to IPS and ipkg zones, I think that this point can't be emphasized enough: CUSTOMERS DO NOT WANT TO BE PROHIBITED FROM DEPLOYING NEW ZONES JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE HAVING PROBLEMS CONNECTING TO THE OPENSOLARIS IPS REPOSITORY!!!
Could you imagine me working for a major telecom, bank / financial institution,
or government / military organization and having to tell my boss: I'm sorry , I
couldn't deploy any new OpenSolaris ipkg zones today because we were having
trouble connecting to pkg.opensolaris.org ? I would be fired in a heartbeat for
being an OpenSolaris evangelist and all my kit would be replaced the next day
with a massive pile of IBM gear running RHEL or AIX.

What about military data centers that aren't even supposed to be connected to
the internet? How are they supposed to be able to deploy new ipkg zones when
their security policies don't allow them to go out on the internet and connect
to pkg.opensolaris.org ?

The basic stop-gap solution to the problem is simple: in January of the year 2010, Joe
Unix-Administrator  downloads the OpenSolaris "Server Core" version of the
OpenSolaris Indiana operating system from genunix.org, and installs it. The installer
asks him to put in a static IP address (something the current OpenSolaris installer never
does unfortunately), installs a minimal server OS with no GNOME or X-Windows in the
global zone, and then comes up after the reboot with a BASH or KSH command line with
virtual terminals, SSH and nothing else running.

Then Joe Unix-Administrator SSH's into the global zone and types in a command
to tell the global zone to clone the opensolaris.org IPS repository, but
because this is a server operating system, it will only clone all of the server
and developer related packages (i.e. Apache, postfix, Bind / named, MySQL,
Erlang... basically anything at pkg.opensolaris.org that's not an X-windows
dependant application). The command the sysadmin types in to clone the IPS
repository could be something like this:

  # pkg clone-repository pkg.opensolaris.org/server crossbow

Now, the global zone starts downloading all the server packages from
pkg.opernsolaris.org and several hours later we have a fully functioning local
IPS repository running on an internal network inside the global zone. Now we
have to make this local IPS repository the default repository for the entire
system (including the non-global zones which haven't been deployed yet). To do
this, Joe could type in something like this

  # pkg set-authority -P global crossbow

and voila! Everything is done. The server could even be disconnected from the
internet and ipkg zones would still install because they use crossbow to
download their packages from the repository in the global zone. Any latency
issues with installing IPS packages are now also resolved. We in the
OpenSolaris community just need to lobby Sun's developers to implement
something like this and I think it would be a huge win for everyone.

Then the just released OpenSolaris Release Repository Image would be of interest to you:

-8<--

OpenSolarisTM 2009.06 Release Repository Image

1.  Overview

    For some deployments, direct access to the repository at
    http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release is not possible, or provides
    insufficient performance.  This product contains the package
    metadata and content to allow the construction of a local copy of the
    release/ repository, which can then be made available on the local
    system or over a private network to other systems.  It can be installed
    on multiple systems, which can in turn be configured as mirrors, to
    increase the available aggregate resources available to packaging
    clients.

-8<--

More at http://www.genunix.org/dist/indiana/README.osol-repo

Menno