maco wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I installed OpenSolaris 2008.11, but have kept it
up to date with the package manager.

The only mounted ROOT filsystem is the main one mounted on /.

I've since tried to make the zone ready with:

r...@gaia:/zones# zoneadm -z poseidon ready
zoneadm: zone 'poseidon': call to zoneadmd failed

I've also tried creating a new zone (test) to see if it's just existing zones
that are affected, but the install command is failing:

r...@gaia:/zones# zoneadm -z test install
A ZFS file system has been created for this zone.
ERROR: Unable to create the zone's ZFS dataset.

The above error comes from the script /usr/lib/brand/ipkg/pkgcreatezone. The zfs create at line 230 is apparently failing. It would be useful to see the output of the following command:

  # zfs list|grep zones

to see if the zone ROOT dataset exists.