On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Illya Kysil
<ikysil+opensolaris....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> The easier way is to mount the storage (either NFS or CIFS or other)
> in the global zone and configure the lofs filesystems in non-global
> zones.

A file system that is NFS mounted in the global zone is inaccessible
via lofs in non-global zones.  If you have seen such behavior work, my
guess is that if you snooped the traffic, you would see that the NFS
traffic is really between the NFS server and the non-global zone.  If
the directory is already exported via NFS (from a different machine)
simply mount it in each non-global zone.  I do not know if CIFS has
the same restriction.

If the storage is local storage, it can be lofs mounted in a variety
of ways.  Consider a system with z1 and z2 with zonepaths of /zones/z1
and /zones/z2.  Suppose the data to be stored is needed at /data in
each zone.

Option 1: Create /data in global, lofs mount to local zones.

global# zonecfg -z z1
add fs
set dir=/data
set special=/data
set type=lofs
end
exit

global# zonecfg -z z2
add fs
set dir=/data
set special=/data
set type=lofs
end
exit

Reboot each zone or issue the appropriate mount command from the global zone.

Option 2: Create /data in z1, lofs mount to z2

z1# mkdir /data

global# zonecfg -z z2
add fs
set dir=/data
set special=/data
set type=lofs
end
exit

Reboot z2 or issue the appropriate mount command from the global zone.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/