Hello

I have been experimenting a few ways to speed up patching a bunch of
machines running whole zones (parallel patching, zoneadm attach -u).
I have encountered one issue with the attach -u way... Before initiating a
case with sun, I was wondering if it was a well known issue...

The GZ is initially running Solaris 10 U6 with kernel patch 138888-08 (and
other patches from the same period).

I start by applying 119254-70, 119313-28 and 125555-05 while the machine is
in multiuser mode, then I shutdown and detach the zones.
I bring back the machine in single user mode and apply a collection of about
190 patches (smpatch analyze output from a few days ago) which brings the
machine at the kernel version 141414-10.

The patching appears to go fine for the GZ

apss8003:/var/sadm/patch #pkginfo -p
apss8003:/var/sadm/patch #

But when zoneadm attaching -u the zones, pkginfo reports multiple partially
failing packages adds ...

apss8003:/var/sadm/patch #zlogin test pkginfo -p
system      SUNWcsr                         Core Solaris, (Root)
system      SUNWgssc                        GSSAPI CONFIG V2
system      SUNWkrbr                        Kerberos version 5 support
(Root)
system      SUNWntpr                        NTP, (Root)
system      SUNWppror                       PatchPro core functionality
(Root)
system      SUNWsacom                       Solstice Enterprise Agents 1.0.3
files for root file system

# cat /zones/test/root//var/sadm/system/logs/update_log | egrep
"partially|corrupt|pathname does not exist|===="

===== SUNWcsr ====
pkgadd: ERROR: source path
</var/sadm/pkg/SUNWcsr/save/pspool/SUNWcsr/reloc/var/svc/manifest/network/ldap/client.xml>
is corrupt
    pathname does not exist
Installation of <SUNWcsr> on zone <test> partially failed.

===== SUNWgssc ====
pkgadd: ERROR: source path
</var/sadm/pkg/SUNWgssc/save/pspool/SUNWgssc/reloc/var/svc/manifest/network/rpc/gss.xml>
is corrupt
    pathname does not exist
Installation of <SUNWgssc> on zone <test> partially failed.

===== SUNWkrbr ====
pkgadd: ERROR: source path
</var/sadm/pkg/SUNWkrbr/save/pspool/SUNWkrbr/reloc/var/svc/manifest/network/security/kadmin.xml>
is corrupt
    pathname does not exist
Installation of <SUNWkrbr> on zone <test> partially failed.

===== SUNWntpr ====
pkgadd: ERROR: source path
</var/sadm/pkg/SUNWntpr/save/pspool/SUNWntpr/reloc/var/svc/manifest/network/ntp.xml>
is corrupt
    pathname does not exist
Installation of <SUNWntpr> on zone <test> partially failed.

===== SUNWppror ====
pkgadd: ERROR: source path
</var/sadm/pkg/SUNWppror/save/pspool/SUNWppror/reloc/var/svc/manifest/system/installupdates.xml>
is corrupt
    pathname does not exist
Installation of <SUNWppror> on zone <test> partially failed

===== SUNWsacom ====
pkgadd: ERROR: source path
</var/sadm/pkg/SUNWsacom/save/pspool/SUNWsacom/reloc/var/svc/manifest/application/management/snmpdx.xml>
is corrupt
    pathname does not exist
Installation of <SUNWsacom> on zone <test> partially failed.

If creating a new zone after the patching, there is no partial packages in
that newly build zone.

The patch list being a little bit lengthy, I can send it privately when
asked...

Regards
--
Gael Martinez