On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Joseph Balenzano
<joseph.balenz...@sun.com> wrote:
> Paolo Merisio wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> actually we can add to zone configuration an object called "dedicated-cpu"
> with properties "ncpus" and "importance".
> This object create a dedicated cpu Pool when zone starts and puts from 1 to
> "ncups" cpus in this pool, property "importance" is usefull when system has
> to decide to wich dedicated pool assign a cpu (in case of two or more zone
> with dedicated-cpu).
> So, is the system that has to decide wich cpu put in wich pool.
> But I know that I can compromise performance if I put threads that comes
> from different core in different pool, so I (administrator) keep all threads
> of one core togheter in same pool.
> For example, with Niagara2+ processor:
> pool1-->pset1 (cpu 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7)  (eight threads of first core)
> pool2-->pset2 (cpu 8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23) (16
> threads, second and third cores)
>
> But system is unaware of core and threads so it may put cpu 3,4,5 (three
> threads of first core) in one dedicated pool, and cpu 6,7,8,9 (2 threads
> from core 1 and core 3) in another dedicated pool.
>
> Also by creating Dynamic Pool (pset.min < pset.max) and setting "Objective"
> property we can delegate to sustem cpu movement from one pool to another
> pool.
> Again in cluster 3.2 we can let system create a dedicated pool for our
> Resource Group, anda again system is responsable to decide wich cpu put in
> wich pool.
>
> [b]Question is:
> It's possible to say to the system to keep threads of single core togheter
> when it moves cpu from one pool to another ?
> If is not, does anyone thinks this maybe a usefull features?
>

> Yes.  It already has been requested in CR 6615957

Until that RFE has been fuldilled, you can use poolcfg(1M) to move
CPUs in and out of psets to get the exact set of CPUs in the pools.

For example:

poolcfg -dc 'transfer to pset SUNWtmp_myzone ( cpu 2 )'

moves CPU 2 from its current pset to the pset used for zone 'myzone'.

--JeffV