ok - that appears to work:

init...@dogpatch:/virtualbox# zoneadm -z csuite install -a /virtualbox/s10.cpio
-u
WARNING: skipping network interface 'vnic0_3' which may not be present/plumbed
in the global zone.
A ZFS file system has been created for this zone.
      Log File: /var/tmp/csuite.install_log.XEaWcB
    Installing: This may take several minutes...
Postprocessing: This may take a while...
   Postprocess: Updating the image to run within a zone

        Result: Installation completed successfully.
      Log File: /zones/csuite/root/var/log/csuite.install13777.log

and it booted:

bash-3.00# uname -a
SunOS csuite 5.10 Generic_Virtual i86pc i386 i86pc

and it gave me a 64 bit machine - even though i'm missing some fancy hardware:

# isainfo -v
64-bit amd64 applications
        sse3 sse2 sse fxsr amd_3dnowx amd_3dnow amd_mmx mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8
        tsc fpu 0x20000
32-bit i386 applications
        sse3 sse2 sse fxsr amd_3dnowx amd_3dnow amd_mmx mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8
        tsc fpu 0x20000

thanks so much everybody for helping me!
david