Hi, my friends. Happy new year.

After installing patch 121431-44, I can do a live upgrade on a machine
with separate "/var" and zones without errors. The new BE is created,
you can boot it correctly but...

1. You can not go back to the old BE, since trying to mount it fails
(because the mounting creates a "/var" directory in the old BE. Why?.
Who knows...) Check this:

("d" is an alias equivalent to "ls -la")

 [r...@stargate-host /]# lumount Solaris10u7
ERROR: cannot mount '/var': directory is not empty
ERROR: cannot mount mount point </.alt.Solaris10u7/var> device
<datos/ROOT/Solaris10u7/var>
ERROR: failed to mount file system <datos/ROOT/Solaris10u7/var> on
</.alt.Solaris10u7/var>
ERROR: unmounting partially mounted boot environment file systems
ERROR: No such file or directory: error unmounting <datos/ROOT/Solaris10u7>
ERROR: cannot mount boot environment by name <Solaris10u7>

[r...@stargate-host /]# zfs mount datos/ROOT/Solaris10u7

[r...@stargate-host /]# d /.alt.Solaris10u7/var/
total 13
drwx------  2 root root  2 Jan  3 17:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 36 root root 49 Jan  3 17:28 ..

[r...@stargate-host /]# rmdir /.alt.Solaris10u7/var/

[r...@stargate-host /]# d /.alt.Solaris10u7/var/
ls: cannot access /.alt.Solaris10u7/var/: No such file or directory

[r...@stargate-host /]# zfs umount datos/ROOT/Solaris10u7

[r...@stargate-host /]# lumount Solaris10u7
ERROR: cannot mount '/var': directory is not empty
ERROR: cannot mount mount point </.alt.Solaris10u7/var> device
<datos/ROOT/Solaris10u7/var>
ERROR: failed to mount file system <datos/ROOT/Solaris10u7/var> on
</.alt.Solaris10u7/var>
ERROR: unmounting partially mounted boot environment file systems
ERROR: No such file or directory: error unmounting <datos/ROOT/Solaris10u7>
ERROR: cannot mount boot environment by name <Solaris10u7>

[r...@stargate-host /]# d /.alt.Solaris10u7/var/
ls: cannot access /.alt.Solaris10u7/var/: No such file or directory

[r...@stargate-host /]# zfs mount datos/ROOT/Solaris10u7

[r...@stargate-host /]# d /.alt.Solaris10u7/var/
total 13
drwx------  2 root root  2 Jan  3 17:57 .
drwxr-xr-x 36 root root 49 Jan  3 17:57 ..

As you can see. I delete the "/var" directory, since my "/var" is a
separate dataset. When mounting the directory, "lumount" recreates
"unnecessarily" an erroneous "/var" directory in the BE. This makes the
subsequent mounting of the "var" dataset to fail. Since "lumount"
creates the directory each time, you can not do anything about it. The
only option I find is to edit "/etc/lu/" and "/etc/lutab" directly,
promome the ZFS "datasets", etc, by hand.

Ugly and error prone.

So, 121431-44 is incomplete.

2. The newly created BE boots... but the Zones don't. Investigating the
issue, I found this:

a) The zones "grow" a suffix. That is "stargate" zonepath is changed
from "/datos/zones/stargate" to "/datos/zones/stargate-Solaris10u8" (the
name of the new BE). Where is that documented?. I need to know about
this kind of things, to update my backup scripts, etc.

b) My zones are hosted under "/datos/zones". This path is actually a
"dataset", and it is not automatically mounted in the new BE, so the
zones under it are not mounted either. If I mount the zonepaths
manually, I can boot the zones.

If the zones datasets MUST be mounted under the root dataset, that MUST
be documented clearly and, better even, unsupported configurations
should be rejected at "zonecfg" time.

Please, let me know if you need more information. This machine is on
production, though, so better be kind to it :-).

I can not believe that Solaris10/ZFS/Zones is so inmature. I want this
situation to improve, so let me know what info/checks you need.

- --
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
j...@jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/
jabber / xmpp:j...@jabber.org         _/_/    _/_/          _/_/_/_/_/