I looked into this a little when I hit it, and basically it's a limitation of the opensolaris pkg commands.

I'm going for memory here, but I think the list function returns only the lastest version from the repository, and refuses to find anything else regardless of arguments, while the search and install functions will find any version.

However the shell scripts used to create a zone rely on the pkg list function when searching for entire...

If you're keen, patching the scripts to use a search rather than list might be a feasible way to allow the zone commands to install a specified release, rather than the lastest.