On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Christine Tran
<christine.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Frank Batschulat (Home)
> <frank.batschu...@sun.com> wrote:
>> a '-x nodataset' option for 'clone' like in 'install' is unlikely going to
>> happen, in
>> fact I will remove the '-x nodataset' option for 'install' completely soon
>> in OSOL build 135
>> PSARC 2010/008 Remove zoneadm install sub-option "-x nodataset"
>> http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=448598
>> your ZFS problem is with 'move' ie. rename a file from one dataset to another
>> while both datasets are still in the same pool ending up as a copy of the
>> file
>> because it crosses dataset ie. file system boundaries. there's a ZFS RFE
>> open to improve that:
>> 6483179 Provide an efficient way to rename a file to another dataset in same
>> zpool
>> http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6483179
>> 6650426 RFE: support link(2) between ZFS filesystems
>> http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6650426
> Actually, this would be the 'proper' fix and will work for us.  Do you
> know if there's priority to these two CRs?  I will provide a business
> case write-up under another cover, if someone would like to add it to
> the CR.
> Meanwhile, I am stuck at U5, because as far as I can tell, U7 and U8
> implements separate dataset per zone if it's on a ZFS.  This
> completely breaks our application, which depended on the efficiency of
> "mv" within one filesystem.

Does the data really need to be under the zonepath?  If you were to do
something like:

zfs create -o mountpoint=/stuff rpool/stuff
mkdir /stuff/z1 /stuff/z2

zonecfg -z z1
add fs
set dir=/stuff
set special=/stuff/z1
set options=rw

zonecfg -z z2
add fs
set dir=/stuff
set special=/stuff/z2
set options=rw

Adjust paths as needed to fit your application.  From the global zone,
you should be able to mv /stuff/z1/* /stuff/z2/* efficiently.

Mike Gerdts