On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:45:01 +0100, Ben <ben.lav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the differences between native and ipkg zones?
> When I did one of the Solaris 10 admin courses we learnt how zones use parts
> of the global-zone (for example using global-zone directories like /etc
> etc...).

That is one of the differences, you are refering to what we called 'sparse
root' zones
which inherit a lof ot the system stuff like /etc , /dev, /usr via lofs
loopback file system mounts.
this was possible with Solaris 10 and the so called 'native' branded zones.

this is different for OpenSolaris ipkg branded zones, which does only support
'whole root zones'.

and of course as already mentioned, the IPS vrs SysV packaging difference.

hth
frankB