On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Peter Tribble <peter.trib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking at the feasibility of using S8 containers to replace
> some truly
> antiquated hardware. However, evaluation has (apparently - I'm still trying to
> establish the details) uncovered a snag.
>
> One of the applications in use is the old iPlanet suite. Directory names
> include
> things like ias6, and the problem is that it seems to fail to start
> and leaves the odd
> core dump around. So, while those involved are rubbishing containers and want
> to redeploy onto antiquated bare metal, I was wondering
>
> (a) if anyone had used the old iPlanet app server in an S8 container, and
> (b) if there are compatibility problems, where do I need to start
> turning over rocks?

Just to close this one out (partially at least), and thanks to Robert for
pushing it to the top of my list.

The problem was a SEGV immediately after reading kstats. It appears
that iPlanet is reading cpu stats into a fixed size array and whoever wrote
that hadn't allowed for a 128-cpu system. After adding dedicated-cpus
and capping the container to 4 cpus, iPlanet starts just fine.

--
-Peter Tribble