+------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| On 2010-03-03 20:17:18, Dombrowski, Neil wrote:
|
| I have a Dell 2900-series server and a PowerVault MD3000 disk array that
attaches via scsi cable. I'm considering installing Solaris and creating
multiple zones, where only one zone will have access to that disk array.  Will
the device need to be mounted/umounted by root in the global zone only? If I
mount/umount the device in the global zone, will that cause problems for the
non-global zone that I want to see it?

If you're using ZFS, it is trivial to build the pool in the global zone and
then delegate it, or a dataset, to the zone to be managed. All features work as
expected within the zone.

e.g.,

global# zpool list tank
NAME   SIZE   USED  AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
tank  4.53T  2.76T  1.77T    60%  ONLINE  -
global# grep dataset /etc/zones/pb_mailstore.xml
  <dataset name="rpool/zones/pb_mailstore/tank"/>
  <dataset name="tank/mailstore/users"/>
  <dataset name="tank/mailstore/cyrus"/>

# zlogin pb_mailstore
[Connected to zone 'pb_mailstore' pts/15]
Last login: Wed Mar  3 13:46:27 on pts/15
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
pb_mailstore# zfs mount | grep tank/mailstore
tank/mailstore/cyrus            /var/imap
tank/mailstore/users            /var/spool/imap
pb_mailstore# zfs list -t snapshot -r tank/mailstore | wc -l
    1472

If you're doing Something Else, you can easily add loopback mounts from the
global zone into the non-global zones. (see "add fs").
--
bda
cyberpunk is dead. long live cyberpunk.