> Many thanks Gregory, I think that might do just the job!
>
> Ben

[...]
> > So using dtrace and panic() might do the trick...

Hmmmm... I don't think so.  Your original question was to find a
sufficiently broken app to induce a kernel panic.

Gregs answer describes how to call the panic handler, in effect.
This is easy, when you have sufficient privileges.

Note also that not all features of dtrace work in a non-global zone,
depending mostly what kind of privilege level the dtrace script would
need.  Specifically, IIRC dtrace_kernel is never granted inside a
non-global zone, and that's the privilege you need to call panic().

Regards -- Volker