Hi,
I have a virtual machine (VirtualBox) with Windows to download Torrent files
(because at the time I set it up uTorrent was (and still is) way beyond any
other torrent client). I do this because I have a second internet connection to
get and serve torrents (local ISPs only offer 256kbps upstream -- no
alternatives).
That means my current machine has two NICs, one to the LAN (nge0) and the other
to the Cablemodem (rge0). The VM is bridged to both interfaces, so I can access
it from the LAN and it gets Internet from its own (the LAN doesn't use the VM's
internet connection, there is a router with a separate internet connection for
LAN).

So, I'd like to run [the torrent client] Transmission (and possibly JDownloader
or Firefox) inside their own X11 session (persistent VNC, so anyone in the LAN
can log in to it and queue torrents). Doing it with a VM works great, but takes
lots of resources (mostly RAM, and it's also a little unresponsive sometimes).

So I tried the VNC server - worked great. It was very responsive and resource
usage was low. But I can't route that traffic to a different route. On Linux I
would use UID routing, and have all the traffic from that user routed to the
second NIC, but AFAIK, Solaris (ipfilter) doesn't have this functionality - or
does it?

The other option would be to use a Zone with physical networking, but zones
won't let me mix physical and virtual networking (bridge one interface to the
local LAN and use the physical to the Internet), or it didn't when I tried a
few months ago. Is my only option to add a third NIC to the machine and have
local traffic go through it? It would work but it's not pretty.

Or does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks,
Hernan