Looking at the recent zonestat arc case reminded me of something
I've been meaning to ask for a while.

In the case, it says:

> prstat polls /proc, and will not account for
> cpu used by short-lived processes.

> Extended accounting must be used to
> compute the cpu utilization because it will contain all data
> associated with processes which have exited.

And this is something that's been discussed before.

Now, if you want to account for cpu utilization by children,
why not use the pr_ctime member of the psinfo structure?
As far as I understand it, that collects cpu for child processes
that exit, so why can't that be used instead of monkeying
about with extended accounting?

What am I overlooking here?

-Peter Tribble