> hello,
> I would like to upgrade a Thumper we use as a staging
> server for backups
> form Solaris 10 to OpenSolaris.  The backup
> application (NetVault) is
> only supported on Solaris.
> So my question is: can a branded Solaris 10 zone
> access the external
> tape vault?  If so are there likely to be any issues
> with running an
> application like NetVault within a branded zone?

Devices can be assigned to zones.  With a disk, that could
be a security issue (a corrupted filesystem could crash the whole
system, for example).  A tape probably wouldn't be as much
of a threat, but that's not the same as saying it would be safe.
In general, one should consider very carefully the security and
reliability implications of assigning devices to zones.

I don't know if anyone has used NetVault within a zone, let alone
a branded zone.