One quick method that is mentioned frequently here and one we use very
successfully is to create a readonly lofs to /etc/nodename. We add the
following to all our zonecfgs

add fs
set dir=/etc/GLOBAL
set special=/etc/nodename
set type=lofs
add options [ro, nodevices]

so when your in a ngz you can cat /etc/GLOBAL to get the global host name.