What build are you upgrading from?

Is this during the "attach -u" portion of the upgrade for each zone?

Can you gather any core files (or pstacks of core files)? These might be at <zonepath>/root/

My "guess" is that init (in the zone) is starting using a downrev libc (aka libc not upgraded yet), and is making a system call that has changed. 12 is SIGSYS.