"Locked memory" is the same as "pinned memory": In other words, pages that won't be paged to disk. Applications can request that pages be "locked" into memory. The pager won't page locked pages to disk.

Regarding an "appropriate value for desktop usage": It depends on what kinds of applications you're using. Most applications don't use locked/pinned pages. I don't set this property on my desktop, but you could set it to a small value. (0M?)

Jordan